Seven Activities for Seniors to Enjoy this Summer
As Memorial Day fast approaches, we look forward to the unofficial start of summer. Warm weather and longer days are on the horizon, presenting seniors and their families with endless possibilities for outdoor fun in the sun!
- Go out – or stay in – for a sweet treat! Summer is a great time to adventure to a local ice cream parlor, bakery, or coffee shop. If mobility is a challenge, families can always bring some delicious goodies to their loved one and enjoy them outside. Food is a wonderful way to bring people together! Warm weather also presents a unique opportunity for making s’mores by the fire, or inside with a kit like the ones you can find here - https://citybonfires.com
- Plan a picnic – Grab a blanket, pack a basket, and find a sunny spot to enjoy some great food and together time! The local park or your own backyard are perfect places to spend quality time with friends and family.
- Attend a sporting event – Whether it’s a grandchild’s lacrosse game or a professional baseball game, sporting events are a great summertime excursion. Don’t forget a hat or visor and sunscreen! Keep an eye out for exclusive senior discounts as well.
- Visit a museum – If it’s too hot outside, an air-conditioned museum might be the perfect activity for a sweltering summer day. Admire some artwork, refresh your history knowledge, or learn something new. Many museums also offer free or reduced admission for seniors.
- Check out a farmer’s market or craft show – Summer is the ideal season for farm fresh local produce. Take a trip to the farmer’s market for delicious fruits and veggies or enjoy a stroll through a craft show. From artwork to handmade trinkets, there is something for everyone to admire.
- Go fishing – Grab some bait and cast a line. Many fishing locations have easy access for those with limited mobility. If you plan to bring your big catch home, be sure to follow local guidelines (and have the appropriate license).
- Take a dip – Put your feet in, enjoy water aerobics, or go for a swim! Indoor and outdoor pools are a great way to stay active and enjoy the water. Did you know that our Chester and Mystic locations both have indoor swimming pools?
The next few months will be filled with sunlight, socialization, and fresh air. Whether you take part in a familiar activity or choose to try something new, summer is the best time for adventure and discovery.
Masonicare is Connecticut’s largest not-for-profit senior healthcare continuum. For more information on our continuum of services and not-for-profit mission, please contact us Toll-Free at 888-332-0033 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.